The Newsbin Pro team is at it again. Releasing a new beta version of the newsreader. Newsbin 6.50 Beta 5 rolled out on April 24th and is available for download from their beta page. If you already have a license the new version is free as always. Otherwise the client is well worth $20 or $30 with a year of standard search access. Want to automatically grab content soon after it’s posted? If so check out the new watch feature.
Here’s a full list of features and changes in Newsbin 6.50 vs. 6.42:
- New Watch feature. Configure Newsbin to pull out items of interest during header downloads.
- Ability to launch post unrar processing scripts.
- Provides the ability to download parts of a post to one drive and have them assembled to another. Useful if you want to minimize I/O bottlenecks by downloading to a fast internal drive then save the assembled files on larger external media like a NAS.
- Optimizations for downloading to SSD drives
- Uses new hashing code. Seems to solve the rare problem where Newsbin and quickpar don’t agree on the hash value
- If you have two unique Regular Expressions with a space between them, it’ll AND the results.
- Intermediate NB2 files are no longer used.
- New logic to verify all downloaded files even without pars so it won’t download dup files ever.
- Startup checking is much faster, like if you exit with large sets in the download list.
- Compacts more posting styles
- The “Small File Filter” is now disabled by default (Show PAR/NFO)
- Unnecessary files in the data folder gets purged on startup now.
- Now supports SMTP authentication for email notifications.
Newsbin customers can download version 6.50 Beta 5 from their beta page. All full releases and betas are free of charge for users with a software license. New users can download a 10 day free trial to test the client.